Episode: #53 Nick 'Chewy' Albin on why you need to try BJJ right now
Who: Today's guest is BJJ coaching guru Nick 'Chewy' Albin. Nick is a BJJ which stands for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) competitor, coach and owner of Chewjitsu which is a Youtube training channel, and its associated BJJ training facility in Louisville, Kentucky. This guy has been an amazing help to me in my own BJJ journey and he is a must follow for beginners and experts alike, an awesome coach and a great guy! We discuss a lot of different concepts in this one and it really outlines the joys of BJJ and why I think every person needs to try it. In this interview, we discuss his story, BJJ, how life-changing training can be, role models, training methods, his outlook on life and so much more. Nick is throwing gem after gem in this one! I practically gave up trying to record them all down as there was so many ... so listen and enjoy!
**Please note that this was recorded back in July 2018 and due to some other time-sensitive recordings, the release for this interview was moved back. Some aspects have changed, I am now a 4 tab white belt and feel much more centred, controlled, considerably more developed and skilled practitioner and its thanks to guys like Nick for this evolution of me as a BJJ competitor and person. And apologies, back then I sat too far away from my mic so the sound is a bit crap in places but I didn't want to tinker too much with the sound and lose the authenticness of the interview**
A quick word about the affiliates before we get to the interview …
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
Wanting to get fit internally and externally, then you need to try some of the awesome fitness gear and supplements that Onnit makes. From steel maces to the amazing cognitive enhancer ‘Alpha Brain’ to a truly amazing line of kettlebells shaped in the guise of animals and superheroes and so much more … you need to try Onnit! Use the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear. They are also offering a number of free trials of supplements you should take advantage of and trial which work best for you before committing to a full bag.
For others, I am particularly loving the ‘The Natural’ the pick up video guidance course by RSD Max, which aims to help you become a natural with women, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ which provides awesome advice on training, health, nutrition and building successful lives and in which is the philosophy and tactics he has used to just finish swimming around the UK without going on dry land once, and if you, like m, love Amazon, then feel free to use my Amazon link to get some great discounts and bargains, including a Kindle that is currently my favourite gadget for passing time when travelling, web surfing, reading ebooks and so much more, a truly awesome buy for you or a gift for someone else with Christmas coming up.
Get some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ at the discount code section and get 10% off all orders there!
There are so many other great offers from My Protein, Under Armour, The Protein Works, Bulletproof Coffee, Me Undies, Gainz Box, Dollar Shave Club and so many more. For all of the free trials and special deals etc on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates. I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during the interview. Enjoy!
What we cover
- Who he is and his entrepreneurial journey as a child
- The terrible incident that encouraged Nick to train BJJ and begin his Jiu-Jitsu journey
- Is BJJ right for everyone?
- How to be a good student at your BJJ gym and how you can learn BJJ the quickest?
- How do you leave your ego at the door and enter training with an empty learning cup?
- How BJJ will change you as a person and become a good training partner
- How should we look at being beaten? How should we look at loss and overcome the negative association we tend to add to it and actually learn from it?
- How Nick coaches and his truly superb way of viewing learning BJJ and using it as well
- How progression is judged and what you need to do to show to be ready for another tab or belt
- The amazing benefits of an open mat session and a training debrief
- The importance and benefits of going for a short walk after a meal.
- The evolution of techniques and moves in Jiu-Jitsu
- How to pick the right gym for you to train BJJ at
- Where his creativity and passion for training BJJ comes from
- How he finds transitioning from a BJJ Competitor to Coach to gym owner
- Methods for recovering, avoiding injury, starting training as an older person etc and how Nick relaxes away from it all
- Do mental workouts like visualisation work?
- How Nick chooses his content and connects with his audience
- What should you expect from your first class and starting BJJ
- The evolution of his business
- How should someone starting outlook to progress within their first six months of BJJ training
- How does he deal with the fast break questions
- What he wants you to take from the interview
- How you can keep in touch with him and his projects
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- BJJ is a human chess match, you can never fully learn BJJ but you can make it your own, evolve positions submissions and movement chains to make your own version of BJJ
- To be a great student, you need to find your own intrinsic reason about why you want to learn, it needs to be something you want to do, to learn as it is a long challenging road but it will be a life-changing road
- BJJ techniques are changing and evolving all the time, there are no real wrong positions, more your reaction from being in it dictates how successful you can
- If you can control three out of four points to pass a guard - hips, knees and legs, it will create a really nasty and skilled guard pass
- Learn to relax and that mindset will open up your creative mind and it will allow creating, to tinker and modify to make BJJ in your own style
- Martial arts allows you to take back your power, your true identity after being bullied, a bad family environment etc, martial arts allows you to become centred and controlled again
- Who we are is very malleable, we can change, we can develop, we can become better, no matter our current starting point
- The story you tell yourself will control how successful you will be and how quickly you can 'learn' BJJ - what is the story you tell about yourself? Is it a positive or negative?
- Everyone is going to be different in terms of skill progression, your journey is yours alone, don't judge yourself against another, don't compare yourself against others, follow your own path and help others but each of us goes on our own journey
- You need to step away from the mats to recover, learn and evolve as well as time training - you need a healthy mixture of training, recover and other hobbies
- Good or bad, the experiences you have gone through have made you the person you are today and you can learn from them and become a better person from it
- Instead of trying to find solutions to the reasons you don't or can't do something, find the one reason - all it takes is one - to actually want to do it and focus on that
The links you will need to connect with the Guest
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
Products you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out. I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):
|Click the image to load ||What the affiliate is |
| || |
To get the Kindle that I love, buy it here
| || |
Blinkist summaries the important points of books for quick learning
| || |
The Natural by RSD Maxx
Learn to become a natural with women by learning how to become the man you were always meant to be!
Please click here if you would like to read my review of this awesome product
| || |
Use the code ‘nextlevelguy’ in the discount code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great supplements and fitness gear
Want to listen to another episode?