- Who he is
- About his upbringing and his love for basketball
- How he transitioned into powerlifting and how he made a brand for himself from weights
- His philosophy on content creation and what makes successful content
- Who he looks to as a role model
- What does he consider makes a good man
- What inspires him to get out of bed every morning
- Why he felt the time was right to make the move and build his own brand
- How has he found the transition from being part of a successful team to going on his own
- How to stay relevant in a crowded niche and with so much competition
- What his goals are for the future
- Who his dream interview guests would be?
- Ways to connect with media influencers and connect builders
- His podcast and its guests
- Building strong friendships and networking tips
- How to work a business with friends
- What advice for those who want to go and out and do their own ventures
- What does he want everyone listening to the interview to take away as the go home message?
- And so much more
Episode: #42 Chad Wesley Smith on how to become a Juggernaut man
Who: Today’s guest is Chad Wesley Smith who is the owner of Juggernaut Training Systems, a top 20 Ranked raw powerlifter of all-time, author, speaker & coach.
As his about page outlines: Chad is one of the most accomplished strength athletes of recent years. With a background in track and field, Smith took his 2 collegiate national championships and continued his success in powerlifting and strongman.
In powerlifting, Smith owns current PRs of 435kg/959# squat with wraps, 380kg/848# squat in sleeves, 257.5kg/567# bench press and 367.5kg/810# deadlift, as well as Top 10 totals all-time with wraps and without at 1050kg/2314# and 1010kg/2226# respectively. Smith also earned his professional status in Strongman by a landslide victory at the 2012 North American Strongman Championships.
As a coach, Smith has helped over 50 athletes earn Division 1 athletic scholarships and worked with athletes in NFL, UFC, MLB and Olympics, as well as having numerous world-class powerlifters.
Who better to discuss how to become a Juggernaut in our own lives. In this interview, we discuss masculinity, weight lifting, skill development, jiu-jitsu and how to be a man everyone would want to have a pint with.
Affiliate highlight: Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further info.
I am particularly loving the delicious protein from the Protein Works which I use after my jiu-jitsu training to recover and come back stronger, my steaks, sausages and burgers from Muscle Foods which taste amazing on a barbecue in the sun and buying some awesome gifts at Cool Materials for some upcoming birthdays, there really is something for everyone there! For more info on these and so much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did interviewing Chad … enjoy!
What we cover
- Who he is
- What got him into lifting iron as a child
- How does he define masculinity as a child and now?
- Where does he see modern day men going wrong
- What makes a good friendship as a man
- Why has he been so successful compared to other lifters in his generation?
- Where does he see guys going wrong in the gym?
- The best methods for improving lifting technique and Chad's method for learning new techniques
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and lifting - how has he found learning BJJ compared to weight lifting
- Any routines or processes that work well for him when lifting
- How to start lifting when strength is not the main focus of the outcome
- How can we learn to leave the ego at the gym and properly lift in the gym
- How does he lift such heavy weights? What goes through his mind during his heavy lifts?
- Where does his motivation come from? What keeps him pushing hard in the gym
- Why does he tend to move towards single person sports compared to team sports
- How has he turned his lifting career into a business and a brand
- Does he have a typical day?
- Where does his creativity come from for video production, product building etc come from?
- How to switch the mindset from competing to coaching
- His adoption and does he feel it affected him in anyway
- How can we raise strong - in all sense of the word - males?
- What does he want guys listening to take from this interview?
- What is an unusual fact about him
- How you can keep in touch with him
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- Chad became strong when he was younger by trying, he didn't know why things worked when he was younger but to the tried. Start now and begin, learn as you go You don't need to know everything before you start to succeed.
- Quality of relationships and integrity and thoughtfulness and all that is more important than how much you can lift
- Season of life by Jeffery Marx
- Be open, vulnerable and able to share to build a strong friendship with other males
- Stop trying to find the easy or quick solution for strength - learn to master the concept to truly learn and reach your goal - it takes months and years to chase mastery, not 30 days like the magazine covers say
- "Go into each session, with one thing to focus on" and record details of the training session
- If you cannot explain it, do you understand it? Learn the technique, do not rely on your strength only
- Focus on the process of the technique - its impossible to go from step a to step z with none of the steps in between
- Use movement progression - pick specific goals and build towards these, do the exercise well and progress to the more advanced versions of the movement
- It's easy to let the day slip by if you don't have a plan
- John Donaghue podcast with Joe Rogan
- Money can make life more comfortable but family are the most important thing
- Goals are achievable - have the courage to go for your goal like Chad did, attack them with your full heart so you do not live an unfulfilled life
- Juggernaut Performance Summit
Connect with the Guest
- Visit the Juggernaut Training Systems website
- Attend the 2018 Juggernaut Performance Summit
- Subscribe to the Jugglife podcast
- Chad's Instagram
- Team Juggernaut on Facebook
- Team Juggernaut on Twitter
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast, please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps.
Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
A product you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who offer some amazing products for you to check out.
I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate link and will open to an external website):