Mar 18, 2018
Jack Donovan on redefining the way we see masculinity today
Who: From Jack's about page: "Jack Donovan
is the author of the The Way of Men — a
straightforward, politically incorrect theory of masculinity that
became an underground hit around the world
... Donovan has been blogging, writing and speaking about
masculinity and tribalism since for over a decade ... He
lives in the Pacific Northwest, where he leads a chapter of the
infamous Wolves of
Vinland — an esoteric tribe of Germanic
pagans." I don't know if I need to say anything more as an
In this interview we discuss masculinity, why it is not a dirty
word and why we should undertake our own journey to become better
men and more masculine men.
Affiliate highlight: Before we get into
that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve managed to build up
some great relationships with some awesome companies. This allows
me to obtain special discount codes, deals, and listener exclusive.
Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for further
I am particularly loving the Gainz Box and it's awesome fitness
goodies straight to your door, another is OMG Yes, which is a video
series on how to truly pleasure a woman and my Barbell Apparel
jeans that feel so comfy but show off your muscle gains in all the
right places. For these and so much more, check
What we cover
- Who he is and why he is well known
- What happended during his childhood that made him look in
- How is masculinity being portrayed in today's society
- What is masculinity and who are the great role models of
- Where he thinks modern day men are going wrong in society and
the factors that affect thier masculinity
- How can we recreate the old rituals that boys undertook to
become men like the old civilisations do but do it in our easy
- Why do you need a tribe to truly become masculine and a man and
how it needs to be set up/contain to succeed.
- Can we use sports etc to replace these missing rituals and
tribes in our lives?
- Are the characteristics of what makes a good man the same
across the world?
- What he thinks about the style of masculinity that is shipped
by today's media?
- Can you grade masculinity? Are we masculine or not or shades of
masculine more or less than the next man?
- What challenges could you set yourself to become a more
masculine man and develop yourself?
- Why is there not a push for men to become more masculine in
today's society?Why do some men hate on those who try to improve in
- How should today's men adapt to the differing roles of women
and equality in the modern world
- Can you ever become too mascline? At what point does becoming
more masculine cause problems?
- How does the role of the father play in how masculine a man is
and how good a man he will be? How should we raise the next
generation of men to help raise good men?
- How does he deal with those who dislike the masculinity message
he is bringing out?
- How should those listening overcome jealousy, hate etc when
they try to become a more masculine man and a better man?
- How can you tell if you are becoming a better man? What is the
yard stick or criteria we can use to show improvements?
- The message those listening should take from this
- Are there any unusual things about Jack that will blow your
- How you can keep in touch with him?
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- There are a lot of positives about striving to be a
- Masculinity is being softened in today's media and "made
into a joke"
- "When you are marketing things, you want to be overly
inclusive" - the way masculinity is portrayed in today's society is
more about marketing than ideology
- Masculinity is what men percieve to each other as masculine,
are the things we need from each other to survive through our
evolutionary history - The parameters of masculinity never
change, they are part of who we are in throughout time
- Find out
about Jack Lemmon here - the author who's books helped him on his
- What you believe, comes true - it is a self-fufilling
- The failing answer in life is waiting for approval for what you
are wanting to do
- Your tribe needs to share the same values as yourself and be
more than just about one thing like sports - there has to be a
higher purpose involved in the tribe.
- "The people who control the media are not average
- "Men who don't know what masculinity is are more subject to
be manipulated in terms of what tnhey need to be
See the interview I did with Tanner Guzy here
- It is a good thing to have competition with other men, to take
controlled risks and realise you won't break, that you won't die -
physical things are very important
- People will talk down to you when you try to improve yourself
as it brings other people's failures into sharper perspective and
they don't want you to succeed - getting better should be about you
and your own change
- "You don't need to be a dick to be a masculine man",
you can be just as smart, as creative, as talented, as loving etc
as you always are and get better and yet become more masculine
- You can't expect affirmation from those who aren't on the same
mission as you - you need to focus out the hate and focus instead
on those who get the message you are providing and on the same
journey as you
- If you believe in something, you should measure your actions
against and ensure you are meeting your beliefs, that you are being
consistent in your beliefs
Connect with the
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast,
please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly
enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your
feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps.
Also click those social media buttons to stay in touch for
updates on the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what
A product you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who
offer some amazing products for you to check out.
I highly recommend the following product (please note: this is
an affiliate link and will open to an external website):
|Click the image to load
||What the affiliate is
A monthly subscription box of premium fitness apparel,
equipment, supplement, snacks and more. We offer a variety of
plans, including a single month purchase, 3-month, 6-month, and
Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY’ at the discount code section and get 10% off
Athletic Fit Denim, Chinos & Jeans. Engineered for
Performance. Tailored for a Perfect Fit.
The coolest gear at the best prices to make you a true man
Use the code ‘nextlevelguy’ in the discount code section of the
checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great
supplements and fitness gear
Want to listen to another episode?