Nov 6, 2018
Who: Today's guest is David Kelly, who is
currently the general manager for the vastly successful King Sumo
and has worked with some of the business industries greats. In this
conversation, we outline why he has been so successful,
entrepreneurship and provide business hacks to help your business
grow and develop as a person at the same time. David has gone from
building things out of lego to being able to say that "43+ million
people have played with the products and ideas I've created." In
this chat, we find out how you can do that too. David may not be as
well known initially as some of the other people I have interviewed
but he is going places, he is a very warm, friendly guy, who is
very analytical, driven and is really shaking things up. Listen to
his journey and find out those things that will help you become
more like him.
A quick word about the affiliates before we get to the
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve
managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome
companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals,
and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for
Wanting to get fit internally and externally, then you need to
try some of the awesome fitness gear and supplements that Onnit
makes. From steel maces to the amazing cognitive enhancer 'Alpha
Brain' to a truly amazing line of kettlebells shaped in the guise
of animals and superheroes and so much more ... you need to try
Onnit! Use the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount
code section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in
your basket of great supplements and fitness gear. They are also
offering a number of free trials of supplements you should take
advantage of and trial which work best for you before
committing to a full bag.
For others, I am particularly loving the 'The Natural' the pick
up video guidance course by RSD Max, which aims to help you become
a natural with women, Ross Edgley’s awesome new book ‘The World’s
Fittest Book’ which provides awesome advice on training, health,
nutrition and building successful lives and in which is the
philosophy and tactics he has used to just finish swimming around
the UK without going on dry land once, and if you, like m, love
Amazon, then feel free to use my Amazon link to get some great
discounts and bargains, including a Kindle that is currently my
favourite gadget for passing time when travelling, web surfing,
reading ebooks and so much more, a truly awesome buy for you or a
gift for someone else with Christmas coming up.
Get some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from
Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY’ at the
discount code section and get 10% off all orders there!
There are so many other great offers from My Protein, Under
Armour, The Protein Works, Bulletproof Coffee, Me Undies, Gainz
Box, Dollar Shave Club and so many more. For all of the free trials
and special deals etc on these and so much more, check
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did during
the interview. Enjoy!
What we cover
- Who he is
- How did his upbringing help shape his love of
- The importance of a father figure in the evolution of a
- What sort of ideas work for a new business
- Is education important to a new entrepreneur - do you need the
training to become a business mogul?
- What are the benefits of a structured education?
- The key skills that today's young people should be looking to
become skilled in to get ahead of the pack
- What similarities he has noticed in the amazing people he has
worked with over the years
- When is the point to move on, to develop or evolve a current
product or move to another platform/method?
- What made him the appealing employee for some truly great
entrepreneurs? What characteristics of him help him win such great
- When is the right time to leave a position and move onto
- What the most successful people trust most
- Best strategies to utilise when you are trying to network and
- His interest in self-experimentation and how it has shaped his
outlook on life.
- What are his typical daily routines and does he ever have a
'typical day' like someone else who works a '9-5' jobs?
- Meditation - is it worth it? In a world run by technology, how
does shutting down and powering off your mind like a computer
- The importance of the work/life balance and how hobbies can
shape you as a person and as an entrepreneur.
- If he had his time again, would he change anything?
- How does he deal with the fast break questions?
- What does he want the listener to take away from this
- An unusual fact about himself that few others know.
- How can you keep in touch with David and follow his adventures
and upcoming projects?
- And so much more
Some things to reflect on
- Sometimes it is best to become a manager in a start-up before
trying your own start-up, you learn the basics and the key skills
that you will need to make your version a success
- There are so many paths to entrepreneurship - you don't need to
do the 'modern' or 'typical' route that you hear big-name founders
following. Not everyone can or should be another Facebook but there
is a potential audience open to everyone no matter the type of
- We always have an opportunity, no matter your starting point,
you choose how you react, how you take. Don't let the man in the
mirror talk you out of trying, you have no idea where you might
- Creativity in games, sports etc can make you more creative
across the board.
- Education can be important but the experience is vital. To be a
good founder, you need to be experienced in every aspect or find
someone else who can be. Everyone has a uniques path and skill set
that can be utilised to make a fantastic team.
- You need to really believe in what you are doing to succeed,
you need to believe in your mission. However, it is probably a bad
approach to try and do it all on your own. You need a strong
support team and network to do this, rather than being on your own.
You need to support each other as you will fail but a strong
support team will help you get back on track and help you out of
the problems and out of the development plateaus.
- Working on your business is important ... but you need to step
away from it at times, to relax and recover and build a strong
work/life balance. Too much time spent will end up exhausting you
and that causes burnout and most will struggle and fail. You need
to work but play too. You need to plan breaks and work smart not
- Everyone is trying to figure this journey and business journey
out. No one has it down perfect.
The links you will need to connect with the
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed the podcast,
please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly
enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your
feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also
click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on
the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
Products you should check out
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who
offer some amazing products for you to check out. I highly
recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate
link and will open to an external website):
|Click the image to load
||What the affiliate is
To get the Kindle that I love, buy it here
Blinkist summaries the important points of books for quick
Natural by RSD Maxx
Learn to become a natural with women by learning how to become
the man you were always meant to be!
Use the code ‘nextlevelguy’ in the discount code section of the
checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great
supplements and fitness gear
Want to listen to another episode?