Oct 20, 2018
Brian Peterson on Grappling, training hacks and skill
Who: Brian Peterson is the owner and head
coach of Peterson Grapplers. On his awesome 'Teach Me Grappling'
Youtube channel, he uploads an encyclopedia of highly detailed and
informative training videos that allow viewers to expedite their
training development. In this interview, we cover a wide range of
areas from his story, to grappling, to training hacks and so much
more in between.
A quick word about the affiliates before we get to the
Before we get into that, a quick word about our affiliates. I’ve
managed to build up some great relationships with some awesome
companies. This allows me to obtain special discount codes, deals,
and listener exclusive. Please go to www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates for
Want to optimize your health? Then you need to try Onnit! Use
the code ‘NEXTLEVELGUY‘ in the discount code
section of the checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your
basket of great supplements and fitness gear. You really need to
check out Alpha Brain, a cognitive enhancer that makes your brain
work more effectively. They are also offering a number of free
trials of supplements you should take advantage of.
For others, I am particularly loving the ‘The Way of the Seal’
by Commander Mark Divine, I liked it so much I had to interview
him, which will be out in a few weeks, Ross Edgley’s awesome new
book ‘The World’s Fittest Book’ which provides awesome advice on
training, health, nutrition and building successful lives
Get some super soft, super comfy and gain showing jeans from
Barbell Apparell. Use ‘NEXTLEVELGUY’ at the
discount code section and get 10% off all orders there!
There are so many other great offers from My Protein, Under
Armour, The Protein Works, Bulletproof Coffee, Me Undies, Gainz
Box, Dollar Shave Club and so many more.
For all of the free trials and special deals etc on these and so
much more, check out www.nextlevelguy.com/affiliates.
I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I did
during the interview. Enjoy!
- Who he is and why you should check him out
- Where the idea and structure for the channel came from - how we
have video games to be thankful for his channel
- How he got into martial arts and how has the UFC and rise of
martial arts affected the types of customers he attracts to his
- How would he define grappling to those who are new to the sport
and how is grappling different to the UFC and street fights
- Should all men do a physical sport like grappling?
- How do men go wrong when they train grappling and combat
- How can you learn grappling the quickest and training
- What should a good instructor teach you in terms of quality of
teaching and method of teaching
- What should a person starting out focus on? Basics or
- Why does he think his coaching style is so successful compared
to other coaches?
- What does he look for in a student to know they are ready to be
promoted with a new tab/belt?
- What personality and mentality do his ideal students have?
- How did he find the transition from competitor to coach? What
about the students who try to be 'assistant coaches' but aren't
- How does he see his channel evolving in the future?
- The characteristics that good grapplers have
- What does he want people to take away from the interview?
- What does he consider an unusual fact about himself?
- How can you keep in touch with him?
- And so much more
Some things to reflect
- Consistency is key in the formation of successful habits
- Grappling is fighting without striking someone - movies and TV
shows have greatly misconstrued how a real fight works
- Lack of discipline can lead to fights - if every man trained,
we wouldn't have as many fights as we currently do
- Learning to relax is the key to success when learning to
- The majority of men are not knowledgeable about BJJ and
self-defense, those who are will have the advantage. Sadly, not all
coaches have the same level of leadership and training, you need to
seek out those who can truly teach the essence of grappling, BJJ
- The basics are great in learning a martial art but no
advancement of techniques will prevent you evolving and
progressing. Both basic and advanced are key to becoming
- Performance and being an individual are more important than
knowledge in a student - it is about making grappling and BJJ a
version of your style
- Less talking, more learning is the best approach as a new
- Confidence in your ability is almost and some say more
important than technique
- Age and history does not make something right, newer
developments can be better than the 'proper way' of doing a
The links you will need to
connect with the Guest
Subscribe to the
If you enjoyed the podcast,
please help me by posting a review on iTunes! I thoroughly
enjoy doing the show and would love to hear what you think. Your
feedback will help me improve the show and ensure it helps. Also
click those social media buttons to stay in touch for updates on
the latest posts, affiliate deals, virtual hugs and what not!
Products you should check
Next Level Guy is affiliated with some amazing companies, who
offer some amazing products for you to check out. I highly
recommend the following product (please note: this is an affiliate
link and will open to an external website):
|Click the image to load
||What the affiliate is
Blinkist summaries the important points of books for quick
Natural by RSD Maxx
Learn to become a natural with women by learning how to become
the man you were always meant to be!
Use the code ‘nextlevelguy’ in the discount code section of the
checkout, to get 10% off any eligible items in your basket of great
supplements and fitness gear
Want to listen to another